TUOLUMNE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA
BMI continues to provide great work for Tuolumne County, creating alternative preservation plans for records throughout multiple departments with the use of Digital ReeL.
The Tuolumne County Assessor, Recorder, and Archivist is tasked with storing and archiving the County’s official records and historical County Archives, and enabling fast and easy access to the documents.
The County’s relationship with BMI Imaging started with the Recorder. The Recorder had a large amount of official records in old physical books and was looking to convert them to an easy-to-use application for the public to access. BMI offered the film production and conversion service for the Digital ReeL app to help accomplish this goal.
During the course of BMI’s engagement with the Recorder, many other document management related projects were discovered. BMI Imaging solved a challenge from a previous conversion project by digitally converting old map books and legacy newspapers and then loading them into Digital ReeL.
- Multiple efforts to preserve records on microfilm, books, and newspapers, but never enough funding to strategically create a centralized, digital solution
- Over 1 million missing images from previous Halfile conversion project
- Historical maps and newspapers on books that were eroding and too heavy to handle day-to-day
BMI PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Microfilm scanning at BMI’s facility
- Ongoing microfilm creation for archive purposes
- Digital ReeL application for easy search and retrieval of digital records
- Self-service Public Research Center now offered to public with workstations and directions on how to use Digital ReeL
- Online, easy to search for app avoids need for public to use physical microfilm and physical books
- Grayscale enhancement provides users with image optimization
Interested in learning more about how to offer your citizens an easy-to-access public research center?
Learn more by downloading the full case study
Interested in learning how you can digitize your historical county records?
Learn more by filling out the form below and a representative will contact you, thanks!