Microfilm Conversion & Digital Scanning Solutions
Digitally Convert Any Microform Into Digital Files
We’ve been in the microfilm business for over sixty years – archiving information to microfilm and now digitally converting information from microfilm. For businesses and government agencies with microfilm and microfiche archives, we offer a wide variety of secure microfilm conversion solutions including our hosted Digital ReeL application, traditional scanning to PDF/TIFF files, and scanning and importing to your existing electronic document management system.
For information about microfilm scanning prices, click here to read our article covering the factors that can influence your price.
Digital Microfilm Solutions
- Scan your film and access via our hosted platform.
- Virtually replicate microfilm, microfiche, and aperture cards for 100% image verification.
- Image enhancement and optimization with grayscale adjustment tool.
- Simple roll-level and title-level indexing as a building-block approach.
- Keep costs down by replicating your retrieval method and utilizing full-text search and OCR.
- What’s the difference between “standard” scanning and Digital ReeL? We compare the two on our website here.
- Analysis of microfilm status and determination of whether film repair is needed, including checks for vinegar syndrome or redox.
- Repair of tears and old splices and removal of surface obstructions.
- Verification of label and roll matching, when possible.
- Density readings and multi-point charting analysis of each microfilm roll.
- Digital camera capture of box label and any roll notes/title information.
- Preparation of faded film or film with surface colors resulting from redox, crystalline deposits or silvering.
- Image rotations, manual or programmatic cropping/trimming of edges (e.g. black border or copy board cropping).
- Polarity adjustments from negative to positive.
- Annotations: graphics and text added to an image.
- Redaction of sensitive information (e.g. Date of Birth, Social Security Numbers, Names).
- Watermarks for security or copyright protection.
- Deskewing: removing the slant of an image that prevents it from being perfectly squared on the page or screen.
- Despeckling: removing isolated speckles from an image file.
- Document integration with existing systems like Microsoft SharePoint, Laserfiche, Hyland OnBase and OpenText (Documentum, ApplicationXtender).
- Data delivery to back-end databases, workflow and other custom applications within your IT environment.
- Automatic capture and indexing using the latest technologies like multi-engine optical character recognition (OCR).
- Manual data entry for poor quality and handwritten documents using on-site and off-shore options.
- Results up to 99.95% at the character level for verified double-entered data entry.
- File Transfer Protocol (FTP) and Secure FTP electronic transfer.
- Encrypted USB drives.
- Document hosting – images are hosted at our secure data center and accessed from a web browser.
- Scan to our Digital ReeL application for primary access or for backup recovery.
- Deep tank processing, archival status certified through regular testing.
- Paper and digital (e.g. TIFF) to microfilm (archive writing).
- Duplication of any microform for disaster recovery.
- Take a look at our Microfilm Digital Archive solution if you’re considering creating microfilm.
If you’re looking for some more information to help you along your digital conversion decision journey, below are some recommendations:
“Traditional Microfilm Conversion vs. Digital ReeL” is a comparison between a standard film scanning project (PDFs, TIFs, etc.) and our Digital ReeL solution.
“Microfilm Transportation” desbribes the three most common methods used for getting microfilm from you to us.
“Microfilm Digital Archive” is our microfilm creation solution if you need to maintain a physical copy of your digitized records.
“The BMI Project Review Process” illustrates our 14-step approach to taking your project from idea to reality.