Digital Scanning And Document Management For Planning & Building Departments
We provide document scanning and data management solutions to help you increase the efficiency and effectiveness of your records management processes. If you’re looking to scan and convert your archive of microfilm, microfiche, and aperture cards or have a room full of plan sets and permits, we can take care of the work for you. We also offer day-forward scanning services if you need someone to scan your new plan sets.
With our large client base of city and county building, planning, and community development departments we’re familiar with all manner of document management systems and can prep your digital files for easy import into your systems. And if you’re having any trouble moving from an old doc management system into another, we can help out with the conversion and migration.
- Plans up to F-size, supporting documents, bound books and photos
- High volume back-file conversion and day-forward scanning
- Custom web-based bar code generation software to allow department staff flexibility in tracking documents for scanning while lowering indexing costs and increasing accuracy
- Integration with existing systems like Laserfiche, Microsoft SharePoint, Hyland OnBase, Documentum, and ApplicationXtender
- Digital image formats include PDF, PDF/A, JPG, TIFF and GIF
- Full suite of digital imaging processing, indexing and data entry capabilities
- Tailored to microfilm and microfiche, our Digital ReeL solution provides an affordable and practical solution for records in any microform format
- Digital image output formats include PDF, PDF/A, JPG, TIFF and GIF
- Image enhancement (adjustable grayscale) for optimal legibility
- Global text search to assist your staff in finding records across thousands of digital files
- Providing primary or back-up image and data repository, hosted at two sites for redundany
- Simple administration and user selection and access rights
- Audit tracking
- Secure web portal and IP filter to limit access to certain locations
- Images from paper and microform records are stored in an online system linked by APN, street address or other search parameters
- No software licensing charges, maintenance fees or internal IT resources required
- Capture of paperwork and microform records into an online building information system
- Easy retrieval of scanned building records, permits, maps by internal staff and/or the public from the Internet
- Avoid the risk of fire, water damage, break-ins, etc. with digital copies, backed up and stored at a Tier 3 SSAE 16 Type 2 compliant offsite hosting facility, providing a means to recover your data in the event of a disaster
If you’re looking for some more information to help you along your digital conversion decision journey, below are some recommendations:
“How Much Microfilm And Microfiche Do I Have?” gives you a couple of methods of figuring out how much film, fiche, and aperture cards you have in your collection.
“Traditional Microfilm Conversion vs. Digital ReeL” is a comparison between a standard film scanning project (PDFs, TIFs, etc.) and our Digital ReeL solution.
“How Does A Microfilm Conversion Project Work?” briefly illustrates the process we use to run a microfilm scanning project. There’s an infographic for an easy-to-read visual.
Case Study | Salinas Permit Services Center, CA
“We had microfiche, paper, and existing digital documents that we wanted digitized and easily retrievable from a central repository. BMI offered the full solution, including scanning and the hosted application.”
– Kristy Parker | Permit Center Coordinator
Case Study | Livermore Community & Economic Development Department, CA
“Digital ReeL gives us exactly what we need – simplified access to our large format documents and building records previously archived on physical microfiche sheets. We’re able to quickly email digital copies to our constituents and customers, providing faster service than with previous solutions.”
Lorraine Purcell, GIS Specialist
– Lorraine Purcell | GIS Specialist