College & University Registrar Document Scanning and Management
Scanning and indexing paper and microfilm records the conventional way is expensive. Many college and university registrars are not aware that traditional scanning methods can create incorrect or no index data, resulting in missing or difficult-to-find records.
BMI offers unique solutions, like Digital ReeL, that digitally capture every permanent student record, transcript, HR file, or payroll record. On-premise and hosted solutions are available that improve the image quality of your entire archive and offer immediate full-text search of any record. And of course, the security of your records while in our hands is paramount.
Document Management Services for College & University Registrars Include:
- Any size of paper and any micro media format (learn what type of microfilm you have).
- Student records.
- HR documents.
- Payroll records.
- Unlike conventional scan and index services, we require no staff time.
- Projects can be completed in as little as 3-4 months.
- Find any record using full text search (any word or phrase on the record is searchable).
- Replicate current retrieval process in digital format (e.g. search by student name or ID, folders labeled by fiche/film titles, dates).
- Leverage existing index books and databases that contain look up information for students.
- Hosted solution serves your records up from our NIST compliant data center.
- Hosting is secure (e.g. locked to IP, authenticated users set up by administrator, audit trails).
- CapEx and OpEx options.
- Financing and deferred payment options available.
- Segmentation of the overall scanning project into phased approaches to meet fiscal budget considerations.
- Paper and microfilm records converted into non-proprietary data formats like PDF and TIFF.
- No software lock-in; easily export records from our system(s) to existing records management systems you currently work with.
CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, LOS ANGELES (CAL STATE LA)
It used to take days to respond to a transcript request that was on our microfilm. We were pleasantly surprised with Digital ReeL’s search and retrieval speed. We now offer same-day turnaround for transcript requests that come into the office. Searches are now completed in minutes, not days.
CALIFORNIA STATE, UNIVERSITY OF FRESNO
When Fresno State received a grant to improve the efficiency of the Department, it was decided to digitally convert thousands of academic records that were archived on physical microfilm. The Department had the initial intention of scanning the microfilm records to PDF and leveraging an existing document management system. However, when presented with the Digital ReeL alternative, the competitive price, non-proprietary image format (PDF, TIFF) and easy-to-use viewer made it the best option for the Department’s records.