PHOENIX POLICE DEPARTMENT | ARIZONA
“We researched traditional film-to-digital imaging solutions, but found the products too expensive for our record requirements. Digital ReeL provides an exact digital replica of our microfilm and is accessible on our existing workstations. The price amazed us – 50% less than any other solution we looked at.”
– Judie Welch | Records and Identification Bureau Administrator
Phoenix Police Department (PHX PD) is comprised of more than 3,800 officers and support personnel who protect a population of more than 1.55 million. PHX PD is responsible for patrolling almost 516 square miles – the biggest city from a geographical standpoint in the country.
PHX PD has been a national leader, implementing many technological and procedural improvements – from the first police radio system in Arizona to the newest 800MHZ system. While obtaining its ISO 9001:2000 certification, PHX PD recognized that retrieving incident reports from its vast microfilm archive was a process that could be significantly improved.
While mapping their process it became evident that digitizing the microfilm would save time in responding to their customers. After evaluating 8 potential solutions, PHX PD selected Digital ReeL for its 100% conversion accuracy, image quality, ease of use and cost effectiveness.
- Only 3 users could access the microfilm archive to make paper copies of requested incident reports
- Potential digital solutions always came in too expensive due to the requirement of manual key data entry
BMI PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- 5,500+ microfilm rolls representing over 15 million images dating back to 1970 were digitally converted
- Digital ReeL used by up to 1,500 workstations
- Digital ReeL integration with OpenText ApplicationXtender
- Price less than 50% of a standard, content management application
- Virtually no training of new users
- Streamlined police record retrieval
- Eliminated 3 reader printers and 3 microfilm cabinets
- Estimated savings of 8 hours per day